Sunday, September 5, 2010

The video makes the paperwork easer

Just finished watching a video posted by a Texas family who adopted a little girl through the same agency we're using.  The Boyd family just brought home their little girl, Lilly, from Addis Ethiopia a couple weeks ago.  The video was very nice.  It showed a little about Addis Ababa, the capital, where Holt's care center is (that's where Tommy is too) and some more about Durame, the village down south, where many of the children were first placed for adoption.

The video helped get more perspective on where we'll be going, what the conditions are like there, and what it'll be like to visit.  Mostly what it did for me was to reinforce that we've got to get a move on!  There's a little boy who, although he doesn't yet know it, is waiting for us.  We've still got quite a bit of paperwork to do.  So, it's likely to be a couple months before we even get to visit for our court date.  But seeing what lies ahead helps me to keep it all in focus, and gives me encouragement to do what's necessary to keep the ball rolling.

I've got Tommy's picture on my desk at work, on my cell phone, in with all the other kids' photos on my digital picture frame.  Seeing his smiling face keeps the goal of bringing him to America front of mind.  We do a little bit of paperwork every day; even when I'm tired after a long day at work.  Together, we're eating away at those obstacles, day by day.  I hope to have enough photos and some video later, to assemble a nice video like the Boyd's, so we can show Tommy how hard we've worked to get him here.  Till then, we just keep the pencils (and printers) movin'.

1 comment:

  1. Chris,

    We've been following your adoption story from a distance. We're with the Holt Yahoo Group, although we don't post on there very much. We're praying for you and your newly-expanded family!

    We were in Addis in late-September, 2009, to bring our daughter, Mihret, home. Would Tommy have been in the Addis facility at that time? If so, I have a pretty good feeling that I remember him.

    If you don't want to talk about it pubicly, feel free to email me here: mattdantodd "at" yahoo "dot" com.

    May God continue to bless you on your adoption journey!

    ReplyDelete