Monday, November 29, 2010

Lighting the town Christmas Tree

I am in my 5th year, my second elected term, as a member of my town council.  This year, I am the functional equivalent of Mayor in my 33,000 person suburban 2-highway, 3 exit, fast-growing town called Deerfield.  As an elected official, we get to "host" the annual lighting of the town tree.  Actually, it belongs to the shopping center at the center of town, aptly named Deerfield Towne Center.  That's convenient because it allows us have a town tree but avoid all the messy non sequitur church and state arguments.  Our town is mostly Christian, but we've got an ever increasing mix of Jewish, Indian and Asian families moving in.  And although I tend to think of a Christmas tree as part of the secular celebration of Christmas (after all it's not like we've got an official town creche), I do want to be sensitive to those who don't celebrate.  So, at least for now, we get to have a town tree, and my kids really like going to the tree lighting.  It's a 40-foot tree and they always have music and singing, a horse-drawn carriage and hot chocolate.  It makes for a nice family event, and a great backdrop for a kid photo.  Here's how it turned out this year. 

I never tire of hearing Merry Christmas.  Can't wait for Tommy to be part of this photo and this season.  43 days till he's officially a Romano.

No comments:

Post a Comment