Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I'm just sayin'.....

Got our fingerprints done this morning for the Citizenship and Immigrations Service (what used to be called Customs or INS, and by the way, a tip for my friends in Washington DC: just changing the name of a monolithic, bureaucratic, bohemoth government agency does not make it either 1) more efficient or 2) more appealing).

Our I600 application (to classify Tommy as an immediate relative) was mailed six weeks ago.  I sent it by FedEx on 9/17 (a Friday).  FedEx says they got it on 9/20 (Monday).  In the 9/24 mail, we got (a very official looking I-797C) written notice they were processing our paperwork and we should expect written instructions regarding what to do next.  We got two copies by the way; one for Jenny and one for me.

About a week later, we got another one...no, actually two more I-797Cs.  These told us to go get fingerprinted on 10/26, almost exactly one month later.  Thinking it was an awfully long time to wait for fingerprints, I wondered whether we could move it up.  So, I looked for a phone number on the notice.  There wasn't one.  I looked for a phone number on the website; again nothing.  A bunch of research and digging later indicated the only option for changing your appointment was to mail the form back and wait for another I-797C with a new date (bet $1,000 it wouldn't have been an earlier date either).

So being good instruction-followers, we waited the month.  Now, I'm going to completely skip over the silliness (and expense) of taking six weeks and mailing 4 letters to schedule us for fingerprinting....at least for now.  What I'm completely bothered by is how we waited calmly for our delayed-six-weeks appointment only to arrive this morning to a huge, empty facility with several (very nice) employees patiently waiting for something to do.  The whole "we're so busy we couldn't possibly get this done sooner than 6 weeks" facade of their circa-1943 scheduling and communications system was a complete sham!  The ladies there told us we could have come sooner--just shown up any day--and they would have taken us....AAAAAAAAHHH!

Healthcare by the federal government anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment